“According to a Local” is a series of straight-to-the-point guides for different cities around the world. For each guide, we ask a local for all the best things to do, see, eat, and more! This time, we asked a couple random Couchsurfing member questions about the city they call home, Kraków ! Lara and Małgorzata have graciously provided us with a local’s take on all things Kraków to make your trip to Poland perfect! Here is an INTERACTIVE MAP of all their suggestions.
(Psssst! Make sure to check out our post 20 Words For When You Don’t Speak The Host Language before you head to Kraków! It’ll help you get around just that much easier.)
1. What is your favorite bar?
- “Eszeweria on Józefa street, and Bill Hickman Bar where you can play games” –Lara
- “Alchemia, Singer” –Małgorzata
2. What is your favorite coffee shop?
- “Massolit on Felicjanek street” -Lara
3. What is your favorite restaurant?
- “Bar Smak on Karmelicka street – typical polish food.” -Lara
- “Przystanek Pierogarnia ul. Zyblikiewicza” –Małgorzata
4. What is your favorite thing to do outside in your city?
- “Laying on the bench on Planty” –Lara
- “Bike trips in Salwator” –Małgorzata
5. Where is the best spot for a view?
- “Kościuszki mound near Powstańców Wielkopolskich” -Lara
- “Kopiec Kraka” –Małgorzata
6. What are some of your favorite local drinks/food?
- “Zapiekanki on Plac Nowy – great super cheap food. I also really like hot wine in Piwnica pod Baranami” -Lara
- “check the beer with ginger syrup, local beers, and food in food trucks areas” –Małgorzata
7. Where can we get these local drinks/food?
- “Go to Bar Smak for traditional Polish food.” –Lara
- “The food trucks can be found at Bezogródek.” –Małgorzata
8. What is something you wish tourists knew coming to your home?
- “I wish they knew that Wawel castle is not interesting at all.” –Lara
- “take your time in visiting the city, stay longer than just 2 days” –Małgorzata
9. Does your home have any good sweets? Where is a good place to get these sweets?
- “Ice cream is great on Starowiślna street. But for coffee and maybe something sweet the best place in the world is Charlotte on Plac Szczepański.” –Lara
- “For ice cream, Starowiślna St. (one of the oldest in Kraków). For cakes / sweets – pączki almost in every bakery” –Małgorzata
10. What are some fun local activities for tourists to try?
- “Playing games in Bill Hickman Bar on Józefa street, visiting quarry (near the Kościuszki mound) where The Schindler’s List was shot. Every two weeks on wednesday there is a beautiful event at Teatr Barakah starting around 9pm till 4am next day. It is crazy jam session where people play music together, sing, dance… The main instrument is djembe, but people play also with hands, spoons, stairs, everything! And if you don’t have your own instrument it’s not a problem. Somebody will share with you for sure.” –Lara
- “GOjump (trampolines) or Billard/ Bowling on Plac Nowy” -–Małgorzata
11. Do you have any recipes you would be willing to share for some local dishes?
Liked this Kraków guide? Hover to Pin it!
The Complete Kraków Guide: According to a Local #Krakow #poland #europe #eurotrip #studyabroad #travel #wanderlust Click To Tweet