“According to a Local” is a series of straight-to-the-point guides for different cities around the world. For each guide, we ask a local for all the best things to do, see, eat, and more! While I usually ask Couchsurfing members for these tips, this time I was very lucky to interview one of my very best friends, Alessio! Alessio studies in Rome and knows it like the back of his hand and has graciously provided us with some great advice to make your trip to Rome, Italy perfect. All of his recommendations are coordinated with numbers which you can find on the map below, as well!
1. Favorite Bar (for alcohol):
- La Bottega di Birra del Borgo (1)
- Oasi della birra (2)
- Open Baladin (3)
2. Favorite Restaurant:
- Birreria Peroni (4)
- Eataly (5)
- L’Arrosticinaro (6)
- Il Siciliano (7)
3. Favorite coffee shop:
- Sant’Eustachio (8)
(P.S. check out this guide on how to order coffee in Italy!)
4. Favorite thing to do outside:
- Taking a walk in one of the beautiful villas in Rome
- Visiting one of the second hand markets
- Waiting for the sunset (they are really beautiful in Rome because the old buildings take on the color of the sky)
- Laying down in Villa Borghese (9)
- Walking through the Fori Romani (historical forums; great for history and architecture buffs!)
- Getting an aperitivo (drinks and snacks before dinner)
- After a night on the town, it’s always a great choice to go get a warm cornetto in one of the tons of forni all around the city before going to bed (this is true Roman life!)
5. Best spot for a view:
- Pincio Terrace (10)
- Giardino degli Aranci (11)
- Zodiaco (12)
6. Best local dish and where can we get it:
- Carbonara at Ristorante Pecorino (13)
- Trippa at Birreria Peroni
- Pizza at Formula 1 (14)
- Arrosticini at L’Arrosticinaro
7. What you wish tourists knew coming to your home:
- During the summer cover from the sun and bring water with you.
- Rome requires a lot of walking!
- PLEASE don’t take a bath in the various historical fountains!
- Before arriving try to book a night visit to the Fori Imperiali.
- Night life in Rome starts at 11pm.
- There are not that many people that speak English in Rome! (Psst: check out our article here on 20 words for when you don’t know the host language!)
8. Best local sweet to satisfy a sweet tooth and where to get it:
- One of the most famous tiramisu in Roma at Pompi (15)
- Ice cream/gelato at Gelateria la Romana (3 locations)
- Cornetti dolci and cakes at Pasticceria Linari (16)
9. Fun activity for tourists to try:
- Visiting Bocca della Verità (17)
- A bicycle ride in Villa Borghese
- Rent a Vespa and live the “vacanze romane”!
- Experiencing an event of the famous “Estate Romana” (different events that are organized for the summer)
- Going to one of the summer music concert in Rome (they are placed in really beautiful locations)
10. The best time of year to visit:
11. Local recipes to try cooking at home:
Liked this guide to Rome? Hover to Pin it!
(P.S. Looking to do a less local thing and do whatcha gotta do when in Rome?! Check out the Roman Guy for some tours!!)