“According to a Local” is a series of guides for different cities around the world. For each guide, we ask a local for all the best things to do, see, eat, and more! This time, we asked a random Couchsurfing member questions about the city she calls home, New Orleans! Jordan has graciously provided us with some great advice to make your trip to New Orleans perfect! Here is an INTERACTIVE MAP of all her suggestions.
1. Favorite Bar:
- Cure for cocktails and Bacchanal for wine!
2. Favorite Restaurant:
- Paladar 511. Also Toast for brunch.
3. Favorite coffee shop:
- Cherry Espresso!
4. Favorite thing to do outside:
- Go for a run in City Park
5. Best spot for a view:
- The Fly (the part of Audubon park along the Mississippi) or the rooftop bar of the Pontchartrain Hotel (for a skyline view).
6. Some of your favorite local drinks/food:
- Voodoo daiquiri, jambalaya, bread pudding, fried chicken, and po’ boys.” (HINT: Check out “The How to Guide: Eating Abroad“ to get the most out of your culinary experience in New Orleans!)
7. Where to get these local drinks/food:
- Lafiitte’s Blacksmith Bar (get the voodoo daiquiri), Mothers (get the jambalaya and bread pudding), Willie Mae’s (get the fried chicken), and Parkway Tavern (get a Po’ boy).
8. What you wish tourists knew coming to your home:
- Explore the various districts of the city because they all have a lot of offer (French Quarter, Garden District, Marigny, Bywater, Uptown.)
9. Best sweet and where to get it:
- Creole Creamery for ice cream. Pralines are also popular!
10. Fun local activity for tourists to try:
- New Orleans is famous for their festivals so check to see if there are any going on during your visit. There are festivals ranging from French Quarter Fest to Po-Boy Festival to a local version of the Running of the Bulls.