“According to a Local” is a series of straight-to-the-point guides for different cities around the world. For each guide, we ask a local for all the best things to do, see, eat, and more! This time, we asked a random Couchsurfing member questions about the city she calls home, Genoa! Stefania has graciously provided us with some great advice to make your trip to Genoa, Italy perfect.
1. Favorite Bar (for alcohol):
- Locksmith… it’s a secret, Prohibition-era style bar in the city center run by a friend! (This is quite literally a secret bar with no public address. Your best bet is to send them a Facebook message and kindly ask for directions to experience this one-of-a-kind bar!)
2. Favorite Restaurant:
3. Favorite coffee shop:
- Caffe degli Specchi, one of the oldest coffee shops in the city!
- Oasi del Mare, which has coffee, food, and drinks!
4. Favorite thing to do outside:
- Spending days at the beach! I also enjoy getting lost in the ancient part of the city, Vicoli.
5. Best spot for a view:
- Boccadasse, an antique-looking marina and neighborhood on the coast.
- Castelletto, a hilly neighborhood that gives way to wonderful views.
- Curlo for views of nature and the sea.
6. Best local dish and where can we get it:
Pasta al pesto or focaccia! You smell of it at every corner! Every Ligurian knows how to do a proper pesto… But grandpas do it best! (They have pesto pasta dishes at Cavour 21!)
7. What you wish tourists knew coming to your home:
That there is more than the city center! The entire city has beauty and history at every corner… You just need time to get lost in it! Also, some Italian vocabulary will help you as many Italians don’t speak English. (Pssst! Check out our post on Italian language for travelers!)
8. Best local sweet to satisfy a sweet tooth and where to get it:
While Stefania didn’t have an answer for this one, here are a few options:
- Pietro Romanengo fu Stefano (a candy shop that ha literally been open for centuries)
- Gelateria Profumo for some top-rated gelato!
9. The best time of year to visit:
- May, but the sea in winter is always amazing!
10. Local recipes to try cooking at home:
- Pesto (made with love, of course!)
Enjoyed this Genoa guide? Save it for later!
The Complete Genoa Guide: According to a Local #genova #genoa #italy Click To Tweet